Bermuda: Day 1

I woke up this morning, thinking that I was in for another day of sea, sea, and more sea. Not to mention somebody's seasickness. Hopefully, there was something interesting to do on the boat today. I didn't want to spend my day eating or sitting around. A pig's got things to do on a cruise! But I was saved, for when I looked out of my balcony, we were in Bermuda! :D


"What is that? Is that a field? Is it a house? Everything's so different in Bermuda!"

Sparkle, DonDon, Billy Bob and I immediately scrambled off of the boat to get onto the island. We got caught in some rain that never seemed to end--one minute we'd be in it, and the next minute it'd be gone! It happened to us three times! At last, though, the rain stopped--but by then we'd made it to the customs checkpoint anyways. There was a small problem with DonDon and his passport, which resulted in the pig running up about 10 flights of stairs to get his passport, but we were soon on our way. At once, I saw the telephone booth, and for a moment, I thought I was in England. 

"Does anybody have any change I can borrow? I need to call someone!"

This might make me look bad, but Billy Bob, Sparkle and DonDon ended up having to drag me out of the booth... No one would lend me any change anyways, so might as well move on, right? We caught a ferry that would take us from the dock to one of the towns, Hamilton. I didn't think the ferry would move that fast, so I ended up going inside so I wouldn't fly off of the deck from the strong winds. 

"Why does it look like we're moving so slowly from the inside?"

After we got off of the boat, we decided that we'd explore the place. In Bermuda, everything's closed on a Sunday because everyone has the day off. So there wasn't a lot of shopping to do. We should have come tomorrow, but we really wanted to look at the nature. You could go shopping any day. "But not in Bermuda!" Billy Bob decided to argue with us. In the end, though, he came along on our little nature walk. I saw palm trees--actual palm trees!--and had to take a picture with them. Somehow, DonDon ended up butt-bombing my picture...

"SURPRISE BUTTBOMB!" -DonDon

I'm usually a nice pig. But when some other pig tries to get into my pictures, (ahem, you know who you are coughDonDoncough) that constitutes revenge. So Sparkle got a taste of what water from Bermuda tastes like. You should probably know that DonDon isn't the biggest fan of water. Half the time, he's afraid he's going to get swept away. So we had to fish him out (pardon the pun) before he had a full-scale panic attack and embarrassed us. No one was around, but you could never be sure. There was this beautiful flower that we saw on our walk. Sparkle and DonDon were too small to wear one in their ears, so they settled to posing next to one instead. 

"Hey, is that an ant?" -DonDon

Sparkle wanted to sneak the flower back onto the ship, but the ship rules prohibited any sort of nature that would be found in Bermuda back onto the ship. This meant that Sparkle wouldn't be able to have his flower. He broke down a little further when he realized that this meant he wouldn't be able to get sand back onto the ship, either. Too bad. He'd heard that the sand on the beaches was pink, and was looking forward to bringing some home as a souvenir. "On the other hand," he reasoned, "at least there are these really cool leaves!" When we broke the news that no, he couldn't bring those back either, he insisted that DonDon and I take a picture on it so that he would remember it too. I think Sparkle's eaten something funny...he's never this enthusiastic about nature. Maybe it's just the Bermudian air.

"There there Perky....it's okay, you're not gong to fall from this leaf..." -DonDon

It was at this point that Billy Bob realized that I hadn't taken a picture with the special flower we'd found. To be honest, I'd been hoping that no one would have noticed that I hadn't taken a picture with it. But, Billy Bob, being the observant little hippo he was, managed to get a flower on me by putting it into my necklace. Although I do have to say that it smelled really pretty...

"I TOLD you that you'd love wearing it!" -Billy Bob

It was time to catch the bus--if we missed it, we'd have to end up walking back to the dock where the boat was. In Hamilton, the dock is about....ooh...I don't actually know. But I know it'd take a long time to get back to the dock, and we'd most likely fall over from exhaustion halfway through the trip. So we had to catch this one, but on the way, Billy Bob saw a building with the words "pickle barrel building" on it, and honestly wondered if there were pickle barrels.

"Can we go in there and look for pickle barrels? Can we? Pleeeeaaase?" -Billy Bob
"We gotta catch this bus! We can't stop to look for pickle barrels!" -Sparkle

If you ever get onto a bus in Bermuda, here's a bit of knowledge for you: a) the people in Bermuda drive on the left side of the road, b) there are no seat belts on a Bermudan bus, and c) there are no stoplights in Bermuda. You can imagine that the last one would be just a tiny bit disconcerting. I was pretty much holding onto the bus rail for dear life as the bus lurched to a stop, opened the doors, and sped off again all in the course of about ten seconds. I'd also like to add that Bermuda is full of steep curves. The bus driver likes to lean into all of them. At more than one point, the tree branches hit the window. That's how close we were. It's considered an accomplishment to survive a Bermuda bus ride...I consider it one anyways. DonDon stuck his head out the window the entire time. When we got back to the dock, Billy Bob still stuck to his insistence on shopping, so we stopped by the Clocktower Mall to do some shopping. We went into this shop where there was a fish-shaped bag, and Billy Bob was extremely excited to play inside of it. You can't see him here, but...


"I can see you, but you can't see me!" -Billy Bob

I picked Billy Bob out of the bag, despite his protests, and we all went back to the ship. Because let's face it--if you put three pigs and a hippo on a bus that never stops, the nervousness of crashing is definitely going to take a toll on your energy. We were definitely tired, indeed. Food was a necessity, so we went to the Garden Cafe for dinner, which is a buffet, and ended up pigging out. Excuse my pun. I couldn't think of anything else to say :) After dinner, we went to the theater on the boat. It's called the Stardust Theater. Unfortunately, I couldn't take any pictures--I'd get arrested, and staying in boat jail isn't any fun. We watched a show called "Pure Variety", which had these people on hoops, and bad comedy, and even an a cappella group! It sure did tucker us out, so we trooped up to bed right after the show :)

Stay tuned for my next day in Bermuda! 
Love, Perky :)



















No comments:

Post a Comment