Cruising: Day 1

While I do admit that I do have an extreme fear of being dropped in the water since I was almost dropped in Cape Cod, I took the week to go on a cruise!! They always said that things would happen when pigs flew, but what about when pigs cruise?? Or three pigs and a hippo? Well...when three pigs (ME PERKY :D Sparkle and DonDon) and a hippo (BILLY BOB :D) go cruising...here's what happens!

We took the Norwegian Dawn ship. It was lunchtime when we got on, so we ate in a main dining room called Venetian. I'm not sure that Billy Bob was expecting to see onion rings when he ordered the calamari, but that's what the waiter gave us...


"Guys? If they're onion rings, then where's my sauce? I'm not sure butter tastes yummy with onion rings!" -Billy Bob
And don't even ask me what Sparkle was thinking with this salad. Everyone knows that pigs and shrimp do not mix. You don't see it here, but Sparkle was definitely feeling the effects of the shrimp later.

"I thought that the menu said fish! Not shrimp! I don't even like shrimp! Not like that!" -Sparkle

As for me, I had the spring rolls. I have a habit of eating new foods. Probably was not the best idea to eat the chili sauce straight from the bowl. I pretty much had my snout in my water glass after...

"Okay, Billy Bob! You win! I have a very low spice tolerance and I lied when I said I ate that really spicy curry last night!" -Perky 

DonDon pretty much took the cake when he ate his choice. He couldn't even finish the chips, although I know that Billy Bob was looking at them with a really hungry look on his face. He probably would have eaten them, too, if the waiter hadn't taken the plate away. 

"Billy Bob! Stop looking at my chips! I know that you want them really badly, but you're drooling on the table!"
-DonDon

After lunch, DonDon decided that he'd disappear on all three of us. It took us about an hour, but we finally tracked him down pool deck, about to start a game of checkers. We rescued him before it could turn into a checker massacre. DonDon hates losing.

"No seriously guys, I WAS WINNING. There was absolutely no need to rescue me!"

At around that time, the boat decided that it was going to leave the harbor. We went out to the deck to see if there was any difference in movement. At first, there wasn't, but soon Sparkle and Billy Bob were stumbling around the boat like pros. 

"Hey look! I can see the Statue of Liberty!" -DonDon
"DONDON! We're. In. Boston. Even I know that your eyesight isn't that good! You're a pig!" -Sparkle

Billy Bob actually got so thrown off by the motion of the boat that he thought a nap was in order. I was feeling pretty sleepy too, at that moment, and we all decided to take a siesta. By the time we woke up, it was time for dinner, and after an odd game of rock-paper-scissors-hoof, it looked like Venetian for dinner again. Sparkle ordered first--he got the classic onion soup. I don't think he was expecting the giant piece of cheese, though. 

"Something tells me that my snout is stuck in the soup...I think it's the fact that I can't breathe...." -Sparkle

Billy Bob did slightly better with his choice. He got the smoked salmon tartare. Nobody really wanted to tell him that he was eating raw fish. Not the best thing you want to tell a hippo when he's in a fancy restaurant. Better to tell him later. 

"WOOHOO! TOAST! Wait. What's that white stuff? Am I going to want to eat it?" -Billy Bob

I ordered the braised lamb shank, and I gotta say that the butternut squash was amazing! I probably would have ordered three more bowls, but then DonDon, our resident food connoisseur, told me that there was a separate dessert menu, I shut up about the butternut squash. 

"Perky, you are not eating all of those beans! I forbid you to eat all of those beans! You'll be farting endlessly in your sleep! And I'm bunking with you!" -Billy Bob

DonDon was already missing the seafood back home--apparently he eats it about every other day--and decided to have the surf and turf, which included his very only lobster tail. And they were only offering the lobster for that night, so it was an obvious choice.

"Is there any way that I could order about ten more plates of lobster tails?" -DonDon

True to his word, the dessert menu that DonDon had mentioned came soon after we polished off our entrees. I had to say, it was pretty impressive...and it didn't stop any of us from ordering dessert, despite our full stomachs. I was on vacation! Who was going to stop me? Besides the stomachaches, of course...Ah well. Chocolate panna cotta, here I come!

"Yes, I know, DonDon, panna cotta is supposed to be really good, but I think you're drooling on the plate! Nope. You're drooling on the table," -Perky

Sparkle went against the grain and ordered his very own key lime pie. It was pretty much the hit of the night. Every one of us had a forkful, but I'm pretty sure that Sparkle kept diving his nose into it. I wanted to order a slice of my own, but I didn't want to look like--well, a pig. But it's a bit silly, since I'm already a pig...

"The cream! The top! The pie! MMPH! Billy Bob, I told you NOT to shove the lime in my mouth! It's sour! Ugh. Now I have to chug water endlessly!" -Sparkle

I guess you should know that DonDon and Billy Bob are both huge fans of chocolate. But they hate admitting it. Probably due to an incident a couple of months ago that involved a chocolate fountain and Billy Bob's snout. And a large amount of marshmallows. Yeah. That wasn't too pretty. But it was still some chocolate ice cream for the both of them.
"Okay, DonDon, you eat half of this ice cream, and I'll eat the other half," -Billy Bob
"But there's only one spoon," -DonDon
"Are you afraid to share a spoon, DonDon? Because I certainly remember when we were at that ice cream competition..." -Billy Bob
"Okay! You win! Just don't bring that up!" -DonDon

There was a gorgeous sunset going on by the time we'd chomped down dinner, and since it was pretty much free, we dashed up to our room, room 11066, to see it from our balcony. A little word about this ship: Venetian was on deck 7. Our room is on deck 11. It's a flight of stairs between each deck. Moral of this story, always take the elevator when making a deck jump like that. The stairs are not fun. 

"Why is the sun touching the water? I thought that the sun always ended up touching the land!" -Perky

Billy Bob even braved his seasickness to pose with the sunset. It's about a once in a lifetime opportunity. 

"I think there's too much wind rushing past my ears...WHAT WAS THAT YOU SAID PERKY? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!" -Billy Bob

So that was pretty much our first day on the ship. We didn't do much; there was a lot of unpacking to do..and then Billy Bob thought he'd start a pillow fight. DonDon thought it would be entertaining to flush the toilet repeated times...and every time the toilet flushed, it would roar. Loudly. See you tomorrow!
































No comments:

Post a Comment